[Asterisk-Users] Sip bandwidth usage

WipeOut wipe_out at onetel.com
Thu Oct 30 00:19:44 MST 2003

Paulo Mannheimer wrote:

>Hi All-
>
>I'm working on a project that will have remote (internet)access to an *
>server through SIP phones, either soft or hard ones.
>
>Does anyone have any experience to share about which SIP product they
>are using under similar conditions, as well as which codec is being used
>and bandwidth usage?
>
>TIA!
>
>PauloHM

Depends on the phone.. If you are using a Grand Stream then the best you
will get is G.711 (+- 85Kb/s including overheads)..

If you are using Snom's or X-Lite/X-Pro you have the option to use the
GSM (+- 34Kb/s including overheads) codec..

X-Lite/X-Pro also support iLBC (+- 28Kb/s including overheads) although
it does not currently work with Asterisk, and GrandStream have said they
are going to support it as well soon..

All the phones have support for G.729 (+- 22Kb/s) either as standard or
by buying a sepertate licence.. Including Asterisk..

Hope that helps..