[Asterisk-Users] Software FAX

Brian Schrock brians at anistonetech.com
Tue Oct 28 21:17:22 MST 2003

Everyone,

Just thought I would drop a line telling everyone here I have the software
RxFAX/TxFAX up and running without any real problems. I did have to.....

RH 9.0

1) Install an audio devel rpm

1) install libtiff from source, and copy over a bunch of include files to
/usr/local/include

2) build/install spandsp

3) move app_rxfax.c and app_txfax.c to apps/ dir in asterisk source tree.

4) move Makefile.patch from oncall to apps/ dir in asterisk

5) patch the makefile

6) edit the makefile and remove all references to steve's home dir to make
it point to my spandsp source directory.

7) rebuild/install asterisk

8) Create a dir incoming/ in /var/spool/asterisk

9) edit extensions.conf and add the following line to the incoming call
contexts I have set up.
    exten => fax,1,RxFAX(/var/spool/asterisk/incoming/${CALLERIDNUM}.tif)

10) create a script that emails me the tif files every time they are
received in incoming/ and delete them.

#/bin/sh
cd /var/spool/asterisk/incoming
for X in *.tif
do
        if [ -f $X ] ; then
                mutt -s "FAX from $X" -a $X laugh at anistonetech.com <
/dev/null
                rm $X
        fi
done

11) Add a cronjob to run my script every 5 minutes.
    */5 * * * * /usr/sbin/mailfax

12) Test and enjoy.

To send a fax all I have to do is....

1) Get the .tif file on the server somewhere

2) Put a file sample.call in the /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/ directory and
it looks like this...

Channel: Zap/3/7989106

Application: txfax
Data: /root/fax.tiff

3) Asterisk will send it or keep trying until it send it as soon as I :wq
the file in vi.

Pretty simple, I hope this helps someone else.

Brian J. Schrock
Anistone Technologies, LLC
6926 Avery Rd.
Dublin, OH 43017