[Asterisk-Users] Trouble with 2 NIC cards

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 10:11:49 MST 2003

A lot of people put two NICs in a fire wall box for
security puroses.  THat way your local network is
physically isolated from the public Internet.  That way
no matter how dumb your users are and how badly they mis-
configure their Windows boxes you are protected.  Without
a physically isolated LAN some Windozze user could do a
share to the world.  But for home use where you have only
a very few computers such that yu can imspect each one,
using one NIC works.

As for performance if that's what you need, two NICs might
help some but Gigabit Ethernet is now affordable.  Running
1000mbps to a 1000/100/10 switch buys you 10X performance
gain vs. 2x.  I've found that in general 2x gains are
hardly noticable at the end user level.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com