[Asterisk-Users] QoS What to do?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Oct 27 12:57:03 MST 2003

> >If a linux router is need can that run on the * box to
> >reduce cost?
> >
> >All help is gratefully received, so I can plan a
> >multi-office rollout.
> >
> >Fred
> >
> You can't use QOS on the internet.. Its just not supported..
>
> *IF* your ADSL router supports QOS it will only be effective on
> outbaound traffic.. Inbound would still come in as it always has..

That's what I thought until we were involved with diagnosing a VoIP
problem on the east coast. The site had a dedicated DS3 with no other
data users. VoIP was choppy and not really usable, however a dsl connection
at the same site sounded good using the exact same equipment.

We found that someone had mucked with the network settings in XP turning
off the QoS support. After re-enabling only that single option and
retesting did the DS3 provide exceptionaly good quality.

Turned out that Worldcom had in fact enabled QoS (on at least a portion
of their backbone network) between the east coast and midwest. It impacted
both directions.  I was surprised, and I've been doing 100% corporate
networking for 20+ years.

Rich