[Asterisk-Users] Is transcoding a bad thing?

Brian West brian at bkw.org
Mon Oct 27 12:54:17 MST 2003

> 2) Transcoding: To be avoided at all times
>
> Transcoding is the conversion of a voice stream with one codec to a voice
> stream with another codec (e.g. G.729 to G.7.23). Transcoding
> dramatically degrades the voice quality. It has to be avoided at all
> times.

I really dont know what they have been smokin but transcoding works fine
and the sound quality doesn't degrade to an aweful level.  I have inbound
via nufone(gsm) transcoded to g711 and inbound from nufone(gsm) transcoded
to g729.. all sound excellent.  No issues what so ever.  Transcoding
doesn't "dramatically" degrade the voice quality.  You may end up with
cellphone quality but its still very acceptable quality.

bkw