[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk behind NAT to SIP provider

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Oct 27 02:57:25 MST 2003

Jan Janak wrote:

> I experimented a little bit and Asterisk behind NAT with SIP works. I created
> an account at iptel.org and use that account for outbound SIP traffic from
> Asterisk.
I can confirm that Asterisk behind NAT can call out to IPtel.org
...and users connected to iptel.org can call me, if my server is registred
to iptel.org.

As stated earlier, the iptel.org SIP express router is configured with
a development version of the nathelper module, that assists SIP clients
inside a NAT to keep sessions open, allowing incoming calls. In this
configuration, Asterisk is simply just another SIP phone, seen from
iptel.org's point of view.

I'll update the information on the wiki so you can experiment with this.

Thank you, Jan Janak @iptel.org, for testing with me!

/Olle