[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-Dev] important feature missing?!

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Oct 26 11:12:37 MST 2003

>one of the common features in PBX devices is the ability to set a time limit
>on duration of calls (esp. outgoing, for each station) and usually a warning
>beep is played few seconds before time runs out. as far as i could
>understand it's possible to set a time limit on calls using something like:
>exten => 2000,1,AbsoluteTimeout(20)
>but that's only on *incoming* calls and even so, the call is disconnected
>without any warning beeps or anything. so i was wondering, am i missing
>something or is this feature really not availabe in asterisk?

[moved to asterisk-users, where this belongs]

You are correct about there being no whisper functionality or timers
to play a beep or audio file at a predetermined interval.

You are incorrect about the usage of AbsoluteTimeout.  It can be used
anywhere to limit the length of a call leg.  Additionally, the "T"
extension can be used to play back a message after the
AbsoluteTimeout is reached, though I suspect that you cannot
re-connect the two call legs back together again.  Search the
archives for details.

JT