[Asterisk-Users] Confuson on iax calls (register or not?)

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Oct 26 02:46:30 MST 2003

Hi!

> >Think I'm a little confused on registering an iax connection; could
> >someone enlighten me?

Not so long ago I had the same question - I guess a slight change of
explanation in iax.conf might help to prevent this.

> >I guess the real question is... when two * machines are going to rely
> >on an iax link (each with their own dial plan), do both machines have
> >to register with each other (eg, both need a 'register' statement)?
>
> AFAIK a register directive is only required when one of the servers has
> a dynamic IP address which cannot be resolved from the outside or is
> behind NAT..

Indeed. A couple of more related hints (as you can see I have been
through this):

- only "type=peer" can register at the other side (maybe also "friends")
- registration only (!) works if that peer has been set to "host=dynamic"

- use "iax show registry" to learn about my (the servers') own
registration (status column: see "qualify" below)

- while you can DIAL using the username (in place of the hostname) of the
remote peer that registered at your server you cannot register vice-versa
using his username, even if he already registered with you (i.e. you
won't be able to tie two * together that way)

- take a look at "qualify=yes" to have the fixed-IP * run regular
presence checks on the dynamic *. Note that it might (?) be wise to NOT
use qualify because if the host appears (!) to be down/too slowly
connected then * will refuse to direct calls to it via IAX.
I still have an unsolved issue where I get UNKOWN as status with
qualify=yes ALTHOUGH the other server is actually up and alive (and I
even have a standing SSH working nicely). However, maybe this is linked
to the other reports on the list about the current CVS breaking IAX
calls...?

- in iax.conf you enter only one port, i.e. you need to choose between
IAX and IAX2. Still registration will try to register using both ports -
still I repeatedly see cases where only 5036 worked and IAX2 didn't (same
server,s same setup).

Greetings, Philipp