[Asterisk-Users] Confuson on iax calls (register or not?)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Oct 25 18:48:36 MST 2003

Think I'm a little confused on registering an iax connection; could
someone enlighten me?

I guess the real question is... when two * machines are going to rely
on an iax link (each with their own dial plan), do both machines have
to register with each other (eg, both need a 'register' statement)?

Or, will a single machine doing the registering cause the opposite
machine to recognize the registration, and allow calls to be originated
in both directions?
If so, assume machine "B" registers with machine "A" (machine B has the
register statement). Then, in machine A's extensions.conf dial plan,
what would the statement similar to
 exten => _6X.,1,Dial(IAX/npi-off:mypassword at 205.122.192.89/${EXTEN-1})
look like? (I'm assuming the above might use the context for which
machine B registered with?)