[Asterisk-Users] where to buy a SIP phone or adapter in SFBay area?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Oct 24 11:23:04 MST 2003

>   I'd like to buy a SIP phone from a retail store, or from
>   a local computer store in the south bay San Francisco area.
>
>   Can anyone suggest a place from which I can make such
>   a purchase?
>
>   So far, I've only found online.
>
>   Thanks.
>
>   -alan

Alan -
   While not being a direct or exact answer to your question, I can
perhaps save you some scouting time and point you in the correct
direction.  Fry's does not carry any kind of SIP-based VoIP equipment
at all, and they present an impenetrable customer interface on "how
to request new items."  There is a general lack of understanding in
RFC-compliant vs. proprietary VoIP equipment at any retail store, and
you will be directed to a dishearteningly small selection of
vendor-specific (non-SIP) solutions when you ask for VoIP hardware.

   I would suggest making the local managers aware of your desire to
spend money on SIP-based products, and perhaps eventually this will
percolate through their collective consciousness.  Grandstream,
Cisco, SIPura, Pingtel, and SNOM would be names to mention.

   I have searched half-heartedly in the San Jose area for a retail
firm that sells SIP phones, and have found none.  The same goes for
Washington DC, Boston, and Portland, OR.  In fact, I have never heard
of SIP phones being sold on the floor of a retail outlet to date,
though perhaps it is that I'm simply behind the times.

   The closest opportunity for purchase you may find would be in the
form of Cisco resellers who may carry used or new Cisco
79[05/12/40/60] or ATA-186 devices in their inventory, as there are a
number of such resellers in the Bay area.  You also may look on eBay
for those particular devices to determine if there are any
micro-resellers who may not show up using the usual search criteria
but who have some quantities available, and who may be willing to
talk to you outside of the context of any particular auction that
they are running.

   I suspect that SIP service providers and/or PBX systems are still
not "mainstream" enough to provide adequate purchasing suction for a
retail firm to stock SIP devices.  This should change in the next
three to six months, in part due to the popularity of Asterisk (among
many other projects and services), but until then you may be out of
luck.  If you are successful in finding a retail vendor, please let
the list know of the specifics.

JT