[Asterisk-Users] How to write sound file with G723.1 codec or G729 codec

Maxim Voznyi vozny at satcomtel.ru
Fri Oct 24 08:46:27 MST 2003

Please, advise me !

How can I write sound file with external G723.1 codec ( actually I have CISCO that can make H323 call to Asterisk box with G723.1 or G729 codec ) I am trying to start Record application by specifying in extensions.conf

[writesound]
exten => s,1, Answer
exten => s,2,Record(soundexample:g723sf)   or ...... ( soundexample:g729)

 I'am using oh323 channel driver, in oh323.conf and open there G723.1 and G729 codecs options.
I know that actually I have not got G723.1 and G729 codecs in Asterisk, because I did not bought licence from digium.com, but I have head that Asterisk can write and play sound files generated by external commercial codecs and from asterisk load messages I can see that it is registred formats g729 and g723sf.

The problem is:  if I am trying to use Record (soundexample:g723sf) I am getting zero-size sound file soundexample.g723 in /var/lib/asterisk/Sounds/, if I am using Record(soundexample:g729) I could not see that  app. Record starting at all, I can just hear Ringing tones from Cisco and after timeout it terminates H323 connection.

Is it possible to do at all ? Write and play in Asterisk  sound files coded by CISCO g723.1 or g729 codecs ?

Sincerely yours,

Maxim Vozny.