[Asterisk-Users] New here...

Anthony Wood woody+asterisk at switchonline.com.au
Fri Oct 24 00:10:20 MST 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:28:39AM -0500, TODD WALLACE - Mail Lists wrote:
> I am trying to get an initial setup up and going which I assume is a very
> common  question here.  My basic questions are the following:
>
> Can I get Asterisk up and going without voice cards using it with SoftPhones
> internally as a proof of concept. (just calling extensions and leaving voice
> mail)

Yes.

> Is there a jump start config that would accomplish this?

The last step in installing asterisk is "make install".
After that, if you type "make samples" you get the samples
configs put in, which lets you leave voicemails, call
digium via IAX, etc.

http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm

Is a very nice intro.

> What is the recommended SoftPhone that is "Open Source" ?

Open Source I guess it would be GnoPhone

Free:
Windows Messenger (not MSN Messenger)
X-Lite
NetMeeting