[Asterisk-Users] Is the X100P a WinModem?

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Thu Oct 23 14:09:52 MST 2003

> My interrest is radio.  I'd like to use Asterisk as a N-way audio
> switch between a set of ham radios and to act as a "transcoder" between
> a few of the ham-oriented VOIP systems like IRLP, Echo Lnk, Wires and
> the like.

You know, radio stations pay $5000+ for Evantide units that allow call in
show hosts to "dump" callers. It is basically a digital X second delay. If
Digum were to make an asterisk distro that just had X number of outside
lines, and a controller they could probably rake in a bunch of money by
selling a system for handling radio call in programs (and allowing the
jocks to "dump" callers that curse before the time runs out.

> What got me started was one day I was sailing off the coast of
> So. Cailornia and had a shirt pocket sized VHF and could talk to
> another ham who has riding a bus in England.  Voice was being routed
> between fixed land based repeters over the Internet.  The system is
> not easy to use, like say, a cell phone is.  I got to thinking
> Why Not? and then stumbled on Asterisk while using Google to
> find software that could route audio over IP.

Myself and other people that went to "cons" (computer security
conventions) were talking about doing an IP based GSM multi-city repeater
system. I don't know if you have seen it -- check out ICOM's D-Star
system. It is REVOLUTIONARY. 128kbps to the mobile two way radio in
vehicles (1.2ghz), raw TCP/IP. Repeaters use 10ghz microwave links or the
internet... digital and analog voice. Crazy stuff. But expensive. Ham
radio being reborn.

> Have you guys looked into the origens of the Zaptel hardware?
> The whole idea was to make the hardware design public so anyone
> could build and sell it, even a home hobbyist. (Yes you can
> build ISA cards with simple hand tools. I've got a few
> one-off cards.  PCI is harder though)  The goal was to drive
> down the cost of hardware.

http://www.757.org/main/projects/xmas00/controller.jpg

:-)