[Asterisk-Users] Is the X100P a WinModem?

rnc Info Lists info-lists at robertc.de
Thu Oct 23 13:27:07 MST 2003

> My interrest is radio.  I'd like to use Asterisk as a N-way audio
> switch between a set of ham radios and to act as a "transcoder" between
> a few of the ham-oriented VOIP systems like IRLP, Echo Lnk, Wires and
> the like.
>
> What got me started was one day I was sailing off the coast of
> So. Cailornia and had a shirt pocket sized VHF and could talk to
> another ham who has riding a bus in England.  Voice was being routed
> between fixed land based repeters over the Internet.  The system is
> not easy to use, like say, a cell phone is.  I got to thinking
> Why Not? and then stumbled on Asterisk while using Google to
> find software that could route audio over IP.

2 things:
First if people want to use Winmodems and build their own hardware, have a
blast but don't expect Digium to support it.  In the spirit of ham radio
this should be no problem.  Those that want the installation support get
it free if they buy the card so think of the extra $$ as support costs..
That makes them really low cost even at 99,95 USD. I'll gladly pay Digium
for the cards in order to know I can call them if there is a problem.

Second, check out the app_rpt.c in the ASterisk apps source code (and
rpt.conf). I haven't gotten into that yet but it looks like at least a
simple interface for a radio.  Might be a good place to start.
73,
Robert
DL4GRC, WB4DHC