[Asterisk-Users] Is the X100P a WinModem?

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Thu Oct 23 11:32:25 MST 2003

> what their costs are or what makes them successful.  Armchair
> businessmen are a dime a dozen; it doesn't help that everytime you
> post to the list, you advocate products which will undercut Digium's
> source of revenue.

Isn't this what Linux is about?

Every asterisk box helps to cause things like the layoffs of thousands of
our peers that worked for Avaya/Lucent, Nortel, and others from the
commercial PBX manufacturers. Times change, and I don't think the Winmodem
hack will really hurt Digum that bad. Anyone serious will probably need
the T1 card, as the Intel PC is a horrible hardware platform and really
doesn't handle large numbers of expansion cards properly.

If my project works out, I'd be happy to contribute money to the project.
My side business (unrelated to the Asterisk project totally, we run on
Lucent PBX that I paid $500 each for (including one with a full Intuity
Audix platform, the other had the T1/PRI card, 100+ phones total) for the
business and my home and that will never change (until I find g3
definitys). Anyways, we already said with our hosting/coloc business that
we will analyze all of the "free" software we utilize (MRTG, FreeBSD,
Apache, inter7 products, etc) and donate to all of the projects.

I gotta admit, the X100P cost was the main reason I delayed so long in
even trying to mess with asterisk. Even back when I did have a job and an
income :-)

Why not just ask the winmodem hackers to donate money instead?