[Asterisk-Users] Call pickup (*8) on SIP devices.

Clif Jones ctjones at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 05:33:07 MST 2003

Here are some ideas for anyone with some extra time on there hands.
SIP phones on call pickup either use a special REGISTER or you can
place a call with the magic extension and have the switch hang up
on you and immediately call you back.  With the second option, you
could dial "*8", Asterisk could check to see if this was a SIP channel
and if so, hangup on the call and somehow add that channel to the current
list of ringing phones.  From the knowledge I have of Asterisk which basically
is configuration info only I'm not sure if this is a clean approach with
the current architecture.  In the commercial SIP world, a forking proxy would
be used and the pickup phone's contact would be added to the ringing phones
contact list for that call only.  The proxy would fork an additional INVITE
to the pickup phone and both phones would ring.  That way the pickup phone
or the original destination phone could answer the call.  Maybe these ideas
will spark some coding. :)