[Asterisk-Users] what is the best codec for low bandwidth? for quality?

WipeOut wipe_out at onetel.com
Thu Oct 23 00:08:01 MST 2003

Matthew Simpson wrote:

>The number of codecs is overwhelming to me.
>
>What do ya'll consider the best codec for conserving bandwidth? [I realize
>at the cost of quality]
>
>Secondly, what do you think the best codec for voice quality is?
>
>Yours,
>Matthew

Its hard to tell you which codec is best becasue it depends on what
phone you are using..

For quality, G.711 (ulaw or alaw) is king but at 64K (+-85K on the wire)
its very FAT..

For lowest bandwidth..
If you are using a Grandstream then your only option is G.711 (alam or
ulaw)..
If you are using a Snom then GSM is th one to use..
X-Lite and X-Pro have support for GSM, iLBC and Speex, GSM works fine, I
can't get iLBC to work with Asterisk and I have never tried Speex..

If you are interconnecting Asterisk servers with IAX/2 then the choice
is yours.. My personal choice is iLBC but GSM is a good option as well..

If you want to pay for licenses, G.729 will give you a lower bandwidth
use than even iLBC and can be used by most phones..

Later..