[Asterisk-Users] Is the X100P a WinModem?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Oct 22 19:47:59 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 18:57, Chris Albertson wrote:
> What I see are two types of Asterisk users:
>
>    1) People running Telco consulting firms who are charging
>       thousands to install and maintain Asterisk based systems.
>
>    2) Hobbists who are installing these systems in their
>       homes for self educaton and entertainment.
>
> If digium's bussines plan is based on making money off #2 above
> they got big problems as these folks can't justify spending money
> The #1 users however can.  I would think a good plan for them would
> be to sell to the #1 guys while doing everthing they can grow the
> size of the #2 type user base.

Hardware sales are user independent. You could say that T1 interfaces
would be business type users, but I use a T1 card at home for personal
uses.

>   That is how Linux took off,
> Geeks (likeme) loved it and it was free so they took it to work.
> It was
> great because a low level technician could get Linux because it
> did not require that a PO be cut or approved.  Basically the
> hobbyists took Linux in through the back door.  Digium would
> be smart to follow that model.

I question your logic of how linux made it anywhere. It may be true for
some businesses, but ones like the one I work at, have a long history of
linux use. It was a calculated decision.

> If I were Digum I'd sell FXO card with bootable Linux CD, asterisk
> preinstalled for $20 a bundle.  What I'd really like to see is
> multi-line fxs cards at $10.00 per line.  When that happens Asterisk
> will _really_ take off.  They'll make money on consulting, feature
> requests that come with payment and hardware aimed at the
> office with more than two incomming lines.

And you would go broke trying to do the support. The home user usually
needs 10 times the support of a corporate user, and like you they don't
want to pay for it. At least a corporate user understands the cost of
business.

> As for contributing, I do software for a living, my time is billable
> at something like $125/hr.  I'll contribute many hours of time,
> don't worry.  I've written many thousands of GPL'd lines of code.

If your time is that valuable, then you should have no problem coming up
with the price of current hardware. When you contribute, I will thank
you for it, as will many other people here.