[Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

mephisto at kalmannet.com mephisto at kalmannet.com
Wed Oct 22 13:19:51 MST 2003

I got these suggestions from the voip forum on dslreports:

1- making them mount on the wall without the handset falling off. They
have the screws, but no hook thing on the handset.

2- why do you have to lift the handset to see who called? being able to
scroll thru the call display without lifting the handset would be cool

3- fix bugs

4- more codecs. g.711 is the only codec i can use with asterisk which is
kind of annoying because it chews through a lot of bandwidth. gsm or ilbc
would be really nice. they are free and use very little bandwidth and have
releatively decent call quality (at least if you're used to using a cell
phone a lot)

-Mark

gsm or ilbc would be really nice.

Boost audio level in speaker phone mode.

The speaker phone audio level is very marginal... The room have to be very
quiet and you better be no more than two listening as you will feel
crowded getting close enough to the phone to be able to hear.

Alain

-------------------------------------

How about improvements to the design.

1) Music on hold. Add a memory slot to the side of the phone so you can
load in a few songs that will play when someone is put on hold. Or somehow
be able to load songs into the phone through the web browser interface.

2) A second line that allows you to make and receive PSTN calls with an
extra feature for conferencing between the two lines. I like to only have
one phone on my desk that can be used for both PSTN and IP calls. All be
it, I do have a two line analog phone and am waiting for the ATA-286 which
will solve this problem.

3)Speed dial keys for the most dialed numbers.

4)Headset jack.

5)Different Ring Tones.

6)Louder Speaker volume.

Thanks for listening.

Martin

-------------------------------------

One that would be particularly useful since most VOIP providers don't
offer 911 is Fire/Ambulance/Police speed-dial buttons, and an optional
911 "override" in the firmware so if someone tries to dial 911 it can tell
them to press one of the programmed buttons- if they're not programmed
advises them to find an alternate phone. Make the 911 override optional as
some VOIP providers and/or local soft PBX's may have 911 service (I have
911 programmed into asterisk to present a menu of 1 for police 2 for
ambulance 3 for fire) and routes the calls according to the context they
are in- since my physical location (and that of other friends/employees
who have btones) is different from where my actual PSTN connectivity is.