[Asterisk-Users] Best performing CPU for G.729 codec?

Chris Ziomkowski cziom at jsg.co.th
Wed Oct 22 09:59:06 MST 2003

At 09:19 AM 10/22/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I hate to say it, but jumpping off into a 100 channel PBX is not
>the way to go with Asterisk.  Build a 1x1 PBX first on an old
>Pentium 500. get this to work then try adding SIP phones then
>add some other features.  After you've spent some time you will
>not need to ask the above.  In fact I'd say if you need to ask

Guys,

Thanks for all the helpful advice, but I think we're getting off topic.
I have specific engineering requirements I have to meet. I can not
change my problem space. I need a 30 user G.729 (not 100's)
plus custom apps, single box solution. No buts, and I need to make
it as cheap as possible. This is for Thailand...you can spend $100
on an overpowered computer or you can feed your family for a
month. (No joke!) Price matters....alot.  I don't want it to scale.
My problem space is fixed. I don't need to build a general purpose
PBX.

What I really want to know is, what are the constraints of the G.729
codec? Does anyone have any real world experience implementing
this, and is the resource utilization a result of mathematical floating
point calculations, or a result of branches and sequential processing
instructions?

Can anyone give me some solid advice here on how resources are
being used?

What you've taught me so far is:

A) you believe that MP or HT will help the performance. Problem is, these
are expensive solutions. Can you quantify this answer at all? How much
will it help, and would it help more than additional floating point
performance?

B) The G.729 codec is linked to the hardware, so I can't even experiment
without having to pay for it each time.

Question...is there anyway to transfer the G.729 licenses from one system to
another when I don't want them anymore? I need to answer this questions, and
paying $300 everytime I need to check out a new architecture (and worse than
that waiting for 24 hours) simply isn't practical.

Does anyone have contact info for an engineer at Voiceage who can help
answer my questions? Is there a multi channel developers license available
that would transfer across different hardware architectures?

Thanks for your feedback,

Chris Ziomkowski