[Asterisk-Users] Is the X100P a WinModem?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 09:52:20 MST 2003

YES, the X100P is in fact a soft-moden card.  If you have a
Digium X100P card you can dump the PCI card's configuration registers
and look up the vendor and device IDs to see exactly what it is.
(see "man lspci" for details, assuming you have Linux PCI tools
installed)

The Intel chip used in this card is very well documented and Intel
even supplies example source code for Linux drivers.
The card does have built in DSP so it is a bit more than a sound
card but I don't think (could be wrong) that Asterisk takes advantage
of the DSP hardware.  (It _would_ be ideal place for echo supression.)

Here is one source for X100P cards.  They work but do require one
triveal change to zaptel/wcfxo.c  I'd say if you can't figure out
what needs to be changed, pay the $100 to digium
http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=fmint56vs/w&refer=PriceWatch
Just last night I both made and acepted PSTN calls with the above card
from a SIP phone through Asterisks.

It would not be total rocket science to write another zaptel driver
for just about any softmodem card if you had the specs for that card.
and there ARE quite a few with published specs and wcfxo.c does
provide a nice example driver.

--- Ethan <telmnstr at 757.org> wrote:
> So I've been on the Asterisk list for a long time. Mostly looking to
> set
> it up as a cheap alternative to a commercial MeetMe bridge, as a
> for-fun
> project.
>
> I keep noticing the Wildcard FXO X100P sorta seems like a Winmodem.
> Winmodems are basically a sound card chip tied to a pots port, where
> the
> Winders driver takes on the MO/DEM functions in software. I've always
> despised them as a data communications device but the other uses of
> the
> cards do seem good.
>
> It would seem like this kind of board would be exactly what was
> needed to
> provide a FXO port, assuming it can do full duplex operations, which
> it
> should since data calls are full duplex....
>
> The picture isn't quite high enough quality to read the chip specs...
> It
> sorta looks likea  Winbound or Connexiant silkscreen....
>
> So is that thing a winmodem with a different PCI identifier?
>
> 				-- Ethan (Tele Monster)

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com