[Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

rnc Info Lists info-lists at robertc.de
Wed Oct 22 08:07:32 MST 2003

Ouch.. you hit one of my pet peeves.. See below.. This is not meant to be
a <FLAME> but rather <SOAPBOX>.

Robert

> John Brown (CV) wrote:
>
>>http == hyper text transport protocol
>>
> So are the entries on your hard drive with a .htm or .html extension not
> files? (sorry a little sarcastic I know)

***  Big difference beween httProtocol HyperTextMarkupLanguage :-)

>>tftp == trivial FILE trasfer protocol
>>
>>thus using tftp to do updates seems better.  Its also
>>a smaller foot print code wise and in boot loader thats
>>important.
>>
> The boot loader size is the the best argument I have heard so far for
> using TFTP, but memory is pretty cheap now compared to the days gone by..
> :)

<SOAPBOX>
Yes, memory is cheap, disk space is pratically free and processors
increase in power every year. But that is not a reason to ignore memory
usage or write inefficient programs.  IF we used the same programming
standards as we had in the last century :-) (70s and 80s) then WinXP would
probably run on a 486 with 64MB RAM.
</SOAPBOX>