[Asterisk-Users] iax over wireless

duncan duncan at impede.net
Wed Oct 22 07:46:49 MST 2003

ok, ive just got a wireless internet connection installed at my home.  its
pretty much the only way to get a stable connection here in belgrade - so
im happy with it.  now the next trick is to get asterisk working bearably
with it.  unfortuantely its using a modified version of the 802.11b spec -
called turbocell.  it appears that to solve some of the problems with
802.11b in an outdoor environment and with multiple clients connecting over
various distances, they have aggregated packets.

it looks like packets are grouped together into 16 or 32k sizes before
being sent.  i have a local asterisk server here and i can establish an IAX
connection to a remote asterisk server - it just sounds incredibly crackly,
i suspect because of this packet aggregation going on.  can anyone
recommend any solutions to try and get the quality a bit better.  its
actually bearable for me, but people complain about the crackling.  would
having a jitterbuffer help out?  what would be everyones recommended settings?

thanks in advance

duncan