[Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

Michael T Farnworth mtf at maximasystems.com
Wed Oct 22 07:38:04 MST 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Michael T Farnworth wrote:

> I suspect tftp probably has a simple protocol too.  Maybe support could be
> added for http as well as tftp.

I take this back, as a protocol tftp is hideously complex compared to
http and would take a lot more code.

However tftp is based on tcp rather than udp so it requires less complex
networking support.

Amusingly though SIP has a lot in common with HTTP, so maybe half the work
is done already, so much so that in one of the SIP RFC's they even go so
far as to say ...

Except for the above difference in character sets, much of the
message syntax is and header fields are identical to HTTP/1.1; rather
than repeating the syntax and semantics here we use [HX.Y] to refer
to Section X.Y of the current HTTP/1.1 specification (RFC 2068 [11]).

However they do also point out that:

Unlike HTTP, SIP MAY use UDP.

In fact I believe a SIP client doesn't have to support TCP, but
fortunately I believe the Grandstream does.

Feel free to point out errors in this brief bit of research.

Michael