[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk with Gentoo

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Wed Oct 22 06:51:01 MST 2003

On 22/10/03 08:37, WipeOut wrote:

> You should build you Asterisk box as a dedicated system not as a desktop
> with and Asterisk server built in.. :)

This is certainly true for production use. However, I'm also happily
running Asterisk for development and testing on my desktop machine under
Gentoo, running Eclipse, Mozilla, X, OpenOffice, etc. There's no reason
you shouldn't do this. If you want it to be able to handle higher loads
and be less prone to breaking up audio when the box is under load, just
nice the Asterisk process to some low value when you start it so it gets
prioritized over X, etc. I'm also running some custom Java-based SIP IVR
software on the same production server as the Asterisk+E400P that routes
PSTN calls to it, which is working well.

--
Alastair Maw
Systems Analyst - MX Telecom