[Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Oct 22 06:44:07 MST 2003

Can you _please_ trim the quoted text?  There's absolutely no reason to
quote the entire post you're replying to, signature lines and all...  +2
points for bottom-posting though.  :-)

> I still think HTTP is a better option.. There is far more control
> available in terms of securing it especially when the description of the

 package says " TFTP provides very little security, and should not be
> enabled unless it is expressly needed."..

Who in their right mind is putting these phones on the open Internet, and if
they're not, then why is TFTP that big a problem?  TFTP's actually quite a
standard option in most networking equipment for pulling down new
configurations and firmware.  HTTP doesn't offer much in the way of helping
with that.

What would be nice is perhaps a little DIP switch on the phone to enable LAN
reconfigure/flash for better security...  but for me anyway being able to
pull the TFTP server and config filenames (global and per-phone) from
standard DHCP extensions would be awesome.

Regards,
Andrew