[Asterisk-Users] Soundcard Problem

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Oct 22 05:49:19 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 06:04, sheebaaggarwal at hfcl.com wrote:
> Hi
> I am using two gnophones with local asterisk server.The call is getting
> through.But in one of the gnophones,no sound is coming.when i boot this PC
> in Windows,then sound card is working perfect.But when in Linux,when i run
> the gnophone application,no sound is heard.What could be the possible
> reason.
> Can anyone pl tell me what all sound card drivers are compatible with

First, please do not cross post messages to both the -dev and the -users
list. Most anyone on the -dev list is also on the -users list and it
makes you look like you are demanding our attention and time instead of
asking for it.

Second, please start new threads. It is easier to click on the address
for the list and start a new message than it is to click reply and then
delete everything inside the message.

Third, gnophone uses either OSS or esd output. OSS is the sound layer in
the linux kernel, esd is the enlightenment sound daemon. You need to go
to preferences->audio from inside gnophone and make sure it is
configured appropriately.

If you use OSS drivers, /dev/dsp[01], then make sure you can access
them. Try using lsof to see if anything is locking this device.

Judging by your behavior with this post, I'm betting you are either a RH
or Mandrake user, and may have ALSA running with ARTSD also. So you may
be in for a little bit of work.