[Asterisk-Users] "Defragmenting" mailboxes

Jonathan Hogg jonathan.hogg at seventh-wave-systems.com
Wed Oct 22 00:18:53 MST 2003

On 22/10/2003 1:42, Chris Albertson wrote:

> IMAP would work as would an NFS mounted maildir.  But I still
> would prefer a DBMS based store to support some voicemail features
> such as.

[...]
> For all of the above a simple SQL query would do the trick
> The user interface could be either menues built in extensin.conf or
> web based. or a Java ap using JDBC.
>
> The DBMS method would scale to population of a large city.
>
> A"layerd" design the allows for various types of stores would be
> best as a DBMS for a home office is silly.

Yes, requiring a RDBMS for voicemail would be a pain for a lot of us, but I
like the idea of using an email storage backend that can be configured.

Perhaps the University of Washington c-client library, which can have
different backends plugged into it and provides mbox and maildir (via a 3rd
party module/patch), or something similar.

The idea of storing voicemails as "audio/wav" attachments to mails in a
maildir appeals to me for running an IMAP server on top of it and providing
easy remote access to voicemail.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Hogg