[Asterisk-Users] Free g.729.1 implementation

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Oct 21 17:30:11 MST 2003

Witold Krecicki wrote:

>1st. - I'm from Poland, we don't have (yet, and hopefully forever) software
>patents.
>Is there any free g.729.1 implementation for asterisk? I want to use it for my
>private use (dialing into inet->PSTN gateway), and I don't want (now) to buy
>codec, as I don't know if I will be using this service in future (now I just
>want to test it). Any solutions? Maybe even free-15day-trial of g.729.1
>codec?

There *are* no software patents on G.729. However, there are a lot of
signal processing patents, and they are applicable everywhere. A lot of
people seem to have the strange idea that implementing a patented
techique on a CPU, instead of some other hardware, suddenly makes it not
a patent issue in many countries. WRONG! As long as the original patent
was not so narrow that is was only claimed to apply to a very specific
realisation of the technique, a software implementation is just as
patent encumbered as any other.

Regards,
Steve