[Asterisk-Users] "Defragmenting" mailboxes

Adam Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Oct 21 13:37:53 MST 2003

>> >The current pthreads based locks don't work across mutiple
>> >servers so something needs to be done once you move out of
>> >the small office environment. The maildir design would work
>> >for up to a few thousand users
>> >I like DBMS based designs as they make web based interfaces
>> >easy to implement and would scale to unlimited size, say to
>> >someone like Verizon with a few tens of million of users.
>> Maybe a backed that stores the mail message via LMTP into an actual
>> mailbox?  Servers like Cyrus have solved this problem a long time ago.
>> Only question would be how to "play back" the message,  but you could just
>> store the IMAP message id (always unique).
>Once you go this route, you can ignore the local filesystem problem and

But you still want handset playback, so you'd want the ability to get the
"next" message from the mailbox.  If you still store a local copy you
haven't solved the defragment problem.

>just mail the file off. Of course this would be interesting in that you
>could have many users have access to the mailbox.

And "unified messaging", a big touted feature of Exchange, etc...

I just think of this because our Nortel BCM VOIP systems provide access to
voice mail boxes via IMAP - each message is a message with an attachment.