[Asterisk-Users] "Defragmenting" mailboxes

Jared Smith jsmith at drgutah.com
Tue Oct 21 09:09:27 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 09:44, Ryan Tucker wrote:
> Does anyone have a quick and dirty script for defragmenting mailboxes?
[snip]

> Note the gap between 0003 and 0009.  This is caused by a somewhat common
> situation, and it tends to bite us somewhat often.  :-)
>
> If not, if I get a chance, I'll whip something up.  -rt

Yes, the gaps in the numbering get really annoying.  Unfortunately, it's
a little bit risky to go moving files around without stopping asterisk
first, or you might just contribute to the problem instead of helping
it.  (For example, if someone is leaving a message while you are
renumbering the files.)

I think the best long-term solution is to [ask|beg|pay|coerce|convince]
someone to fix the way voicemail messages are numbered to avoid race
conditions.

Jared