[Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Oct 21 01:56:16 MST 2003

>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, John Todd wrote:
>
>>  9 - Buttons.  The 102 model I have absolutely SUCKS as far as the
>>  buttons go.  I have to pretty much press them like manual typewriter
>>  keys to get them to work.  Any lateral force causes them to bind up.
>>
>>  10 - button response.  Even when I _do_ manage to press the keys
>>  firmly enough, if I type too fast the keystrokes are lost.  This is
>>  really, REALLY annoying.  Button response needs to be sped up
>>  significantly.  I almost always have to dial every number two or
>>  three times, or slow down to one button every second.  Thus, I use my
>>  Cisco phones and leave the grandstream to gather dust.
>
>I found that the buttons didn't work very well and I had lots of repeated
>or missed digits, making it almost impossible to login to the voicemail.
>However when I moved from using RTP to SIP INFO the problem vanished.
>
>Michael

My issue is not the encoding of the digits into the data stream, but
the ability of the device to recognize the keystrokes.  I use INFO,
as well, after the usual failed experiments with inband and RFC2833
encoding.  It just seems like there is some hardware issue that is
not fast enough to catch my key presses.  This is even before the
call is handed off to the proxy (initial dial) so it's not a data
transfer problem...

JT