[Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Oct 20 23:07:36 MST 2003

>Hi List,
>
>I had a wonderful meeting with GS's President last week
>and he is very interested in feedback on what top features,
>functions, bugs the community would like to see in upcoming
>firmware.
>
>Please keep in mind that adding new features take time
>to develop, test and such.
>
>So please rate your ideas on a scale of 1-10
>
>1  = Nice to have some day
>
>10 = Got to have it right now
>
>Things like ring tones and fixing call waiting are already
>on the list. :)
>
>Lets also keep the replys away from gripes and complaints
>and more towards constructive comments.
>
>I'll be taking the results and sending GS a summary.
>
>John Brown,
>Chagres Technologies, Inc

John -
   I've discussed some of these with you, but here are a few for
consumption and comments by the list:

8 - Encryption.  * will probably support it as soon as some
reasonable handsets support it.  Grandstream should be the initiator
in this process, with SRTP or some other RFC-approved method for
delivering crypto SIP audio channels.  Every business I talk to lists
this on their priority chart for VoIP, and there are NO ANSWERS right
now from major SIP handset vendors as far as voice crypto goes.  I'm
starting to think that it's a conspiracy.

8 - The TFTP configuration nonsense has been discussed.  This needs
to turn into an openly documented standard.  Proprietary standards
are useless, and all of them die eventually - why prolong the agony
on your customers?

5 - Weight.  Phone should weigh more.  I'm constantly pulling it
across the table with only the slightest stretching of the phone cord.

6 - Tilting display.  Display should tilt up so I can actually read
it.  OR: base that tilts the whole phone up about 45 degrees (note:
if this is the case, the weight issue really needs to be resolved)

9 - Buttons.  The 102 model I have absolutely SUCKS as far as the
buttons go.  I have to pretty much press them like manual typewriter
keys to get them to work.  Any lateral force causes them to bind up.

10 - button response.  Even when I _do_ manage to press the keys
firmly enough, if I type too fast the keystrokes are lost.  This is
really, REALLY annoying.  Button response needs to be sped up
significantly.  I almost always have to dial every number two or
three times, or slow down to one button every second.  Thus, I use my
Cisco phones and leave the grandstream to gather dust.

JT