[Asterisk-Users] SIP Nat Issue

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Mon Oct 20 09:55:30 MST 2003

Actually it requires CHANGING the SIP protocol.  Asterisk already
changes the SIP protocol when you use nat=yes and many clients also
change the SIP protocol to work with NAT.

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 11:31, Chris Albertson wrote:
> Asterisk works perfectly fine in back of a NAT firewall, as long
> as all of your SIP phones are also in back of that same fire
> wall ;-)
>
> Seriously, I'd fix this if I knew enough about SIP protocol.
> Is anyone willing to write up what is required at the "bit and byte
> level"?   One thing that could help is try this and report
> findings:
>
> X-Lite _can_ dail out to FWD through a firewall but Asterisk can't.
> SO this gives us the perfect chance to compare the content of
> outbound packets where we have a working and non-working example.
>
> I'd look into hacking Asterisk to mimic the X-Lite generated
> SIP protocol.
>
> Put the result on the wiki.  Doing this will greatly speed up
> the fix.
>

> --- WipeOut <wipe_out at onetel.com> wrote:
> > Mark Evans wrote:
> >
> > >Hi All
> > >
> > >Has anything been done to fix the issue where the * box is sat
> > behind a
> > >nat firewall?
> > >
> > >Regards
> > >
> > >Mark
> > >

> > As far as I know it can't be done.. The server has to be on a public
> > IP..
> >
> > You could try using a SIP aware router like the intertex range but I
> > don't know how much milage you will get from that..
> >
> > Later..

> =====
> Chris Albertson
>   Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
>   Cell:   310-990-7550
>   Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org
>   KG6OMK

Sample configs, scripts, more : http://www.fnords.org/~eric/asterisk/

BTEL Consulting 504-899-1387 or 850-484-4545 or 877-677-9643