[Asterisk-Users] Creating new voicemail accounts

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat Oct 18 16:55:51 MST 2003

WipeOut wrote:

> If you are using VM2 and using something other than the [default]
> context then you will not create the correct directory structures when
> you run the addmailbox script to create the mailboxes..
>
> I have attached a copy of my addmailbox2 script which takes into account
> the context when creating the voice mailbox directory structure..
>
> Hope it helps you promlem..

Well it creates the mailboxes just fine.

I have discovered the problem in the messages logfile.  Somehow this
invocation of asterisk is trying to put the voicemail in the wrong place:

Oct 18 18:44:10 WARNING[262161]: File file.c, Line 769 (ast_writefile):
Unable to open file
/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/voicemail/default/5120/busy.gsm: No such file
or directory

I'm assuming asterisk must figure that out dynamically when it is
started up, because the binaries and modules, etc., are the same for
several incarnations of asterisk that I run, and only this one seems to
be looking in the wrong directory for the voicemail stuff.

I've grepped myself blind, and can't yet figure out how that's getting
set wrong.

Just for fun, I symlinked /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail to
/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/voicemail, and things work just fine.

What did I hose, I wonder, and especially, how??

Thanks.

B.