[Asterisk-Users] Re: WCFXO echo rexolved for me

Dana Dominiak ddominiak at webfootgames.com
Fri Oct 17 17:02:43 MST 2003

Brian,

Ok, I'll take a closer look at my BIOS later tonight and talk to another
programmer to see what options might be the best to try.  Thanks for being
willing to do this, if you actually find a setting that makes a difference,
might help a lot of people.  Since it's just a lab machine, at least you're
not messing up anything important.

I do know that one of the reasons why we hate to assemble computers from
components at our company (i.e. buying motherboards, processors, video,
etc. boards all separately and plugging them in together) is that half the
time there's some weird timing issue that causes all kinds of
quirkiness.  I had a friend who would actually get out an oscilloscope and
check to make sure all the timing looked right, and you'd be surprised how
many cheap pci cards don't quite work right with certain motherboards, and
vice versa.  And there's really no way to know about all these conflicts
unless you build lots of computers and/or use a scope.

So now we just buy Dells or HPs or something, not the highest-end
equipment, but much less quirkiness since they have engineers checking out
the timing of all the boards, making sure there's no weird conflicts, etc.

With Asterisk, it seems a huge amount of the problems people encounter is
getting all this equipment from different manufacturers to work
together.  I guess since there's really never been such an open telephony
product quite like Asterisk before, it's like the wild-west for us.

-dana