[Asterisk-Users] Digium should develop and sell just Dummy card. For timing...

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Oct 17 11:08:23 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 11:34, Chris Albertson wrote:
> --- Richard Alexander <R.Alexander at interlynx.us> wrote:
> >
> > Asterisk was being used for TDM based PSTN switching before if even
> > supported SIP. There is therefore nothing strange about it using
> > hardware based timing. I don't see the relevance of VoIP transmission
> > the discussion. Sure you can squirt it down the tube as you see fit -
> > but MOH is a different beast and therefore VoIP only systems using
> > MOH
> > still need a suitable timer - and there have been several attempts at
> > workarounds.
> >
> > In any case even if you can squirt VoIP packets as you please you
> > still
> > need a timing regime to support a pseudo real time app on a far from
> > real time OS.  A system that comes from a T1 background using a
> > hardware
> > timer seems quite understandable.

> How many examples of VOIP music systems that don't use
> a hardware timmer card do you need?

Please look above. The statements are simple.
#1. You need some form of timing source, be it software or hardware.
#2. Asterisk comes from PSTN, so it started with a good hardware timer.
#3. Any VoIP only app is irrelevant to whether or not it was a good
choice to use a hardware timer.
#4. There are 2 drivers based on common hardware in many machines. 1
should be in all X86 machines, and quite a few non x86 machines.
#5. Stop you bitching, especially if you are not contributing code to
fix the problem your whining about. IT has been noted, and discounted
because of #4.

Now can this waste of a thread die, or does someone have to invoke
Godwins law directly.