[Asterisk-Users] MOH and VAD

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Fri Oct 17 04:06:59 MST 2003

> 	Thanks ! I didn´t note that _little_ detail.
> 	But my second questions arises, why VAD affects MOH since VAD is
> on the ATA but MOH on Asterisk should transmit anyway.

In order to keep the timing clean, Asterisk transmits precisely the same
number of bytes of audio when running a sound generator (MOH, GenTones,
etc), thus synchronizing the production of sound to the clock on the
remote system.  If we generate the audio ourselves independently of the
far end (e.g. off a zap timer) then there will be slips relative to the
far end.  It would certainly be possible to add such a feature, but I'm
not sure it's a good idea.

Mark