[Asterisk-Users] I give up!!

Brian Schrock brians at anistonetech.com
Thu Oct 16 07:31:01 MST 2003

I have multiple installs, and while I would say I have experienced some of
the same problems, thankfully our results were'nt close to yours.

Perhaps the real problem was you did not do any lab work, we tested about 6
months before we did our first install. One thing we did wrong was started
changing too many variables too quickly, i.e. we used the tdm400p prototype
boards instead of equipment we had labbed it all on. If you lab it all at
your house first and really beat the crap out of it while you are labbing it
you will really improve your chances of success. Second, do not change
anything or deviate from the agreed upon proposal regardless of how much
pressue the customers puts you under (as long as you properly set
expectations up front). After the install and you have hit all of the goals
you and your customer agreed on (and all of those goals have been
successfully labbed at your house before you agreed to them) bill them, then
start adding features and making changed on an hourly rate.

The first install we had went pretty badly (we were using the prototype
versions of the wcfxs boards). The grandstream phones are also really really
crappy phones (echo is going to be damned difficult to get rid of on those).
I have only had asterisk crash on me a handful of times and I think we have
narrowed that down to leaving the console with debug on IAX and Zap up
remotely via ssh over a 24 hour period.

I hope you do try again, we have a growing customer base and once our
clients started to see the power of asterisk over their existing systems (we
still get the rare and strange problem) we usually get them to be pretty
loyal.

Besides it is people like us who are going to start getting rid of the
extremly f-ed up Bell System. Were on a mission, not just to provide cool
phone systems but to make voice communications monopoly free!