[Asterisk-Users] */SER/FW

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Thu Oct 16 03:14:35 MST 2003

On 15-10 22:51, Uriel Carrasquilla wrote:
> > is it safe to say that if you have SER on the public side of the Internet,
> then you can deal with Asterisk behind a NAT plus the UA (SIP Phones) behind
> a NAT as well when you force SER to be STATEFUL (i.e. the state of the call
> is maintained)?
> My challenge is that I have Asterisk in places where I don't have access to
> a public IP address.
> Regards,
> Uriel

  If you have SER in the public internet along with RTP proxy (
  http://www.portaone.com/~sobomax/rtpproxy.tar ) then you can can deal
  with any symmetric SIP user agent behind NAT. In some cases SER will
  force RTP proxy, but it tries to minimize using the rtp proxy. I don't
  know if asterisk is symmetric, most existing sip phones are.

  SER can't be call stateful, it's a SIP proxy.

   Jan.