[Asterisk-Users] Digium should develop and sell just Dummy card. For timing...

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Oct 15 11:18:09 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 12:50, Chris Albertson wrote:

> Steven,
>
> Good comments but remember good enginerring starts with reading
> the requirements and desiging to those requirements.
> in the case of SIP at least these is an RFC.  What is the
> timming requirement on media packets?  How is the stream
> synchronized?  I'll read it in the next few days but I'd
> bet a beer there is no requirement for precise timming.
>
> Any discusion about PCI cards, RTC timmers and the like is in
> a complete vacuum unless you know what exactly it is that the
> software is required to do.

And this means what to a system designed around a PSTN board? How many
of us use this system for PSTN and IAX with no SIP or h323 in sight?

So far these timing problems arise from people doing VoIP only systems
on a system that was started as a PSTN platform and is able to handle
VoIP.

So while reading the RFC is a good idea, and maybe it will be good in
determining a new timing source for SIP only systems, it shouldn't take
over asterisk.