[Asterisk-Users] preplanning for a new home installation

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Tue Oct 14 10:18:22 MST 2003

In the next few months I'll be moving and will have a room specifically for
my office.  As part of this move, I'll be putting in cat5e or cat6 throughout
the new location and extra phone pairs.

I'll want to replace my Talkworks/WinfaxPro based voicemail system with an
Asterisk system, so what do I need to do cabling wise to make best use of
Asterisk?

I'll have at 2 phone lines coming into, one personal and one business, and
possibly a second personal line for my girlfriend.  I'll want all incoming
calls to be answerable from any room in the suite and have the ability to
transfer calls between rooms. I'll also want the system to answer the phone
with different messages for each phone line and also for different rings
(smart ring) or incoming caller id. Also the ability to pickup any phone in
the suite and be able to check voicemail messages.

Ideally the ability to do voip and video conferencing through a central
control point would be handy, both to external sites and internally between
rooms.  Also I'll want all voip and video over ip to go over the ipsec vpn
connection from my router.

So what hardware do I need? A couple of the Wildcat cards, plus lots of
cabling?  What else? Note the internet connection, basic networking and
router configuration will already be done when I get around to setting up
Asterisk.
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting