[Asterisk-Users] VoiceMail fromstring?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Oct 13 18:49:22 MST 2003

>I just tested fromstring and emailbody with voicemail2 and a farily new
>code and it's working.  I don't know what you're doing wrong ... but
>something for sure.
>
>regards
>Martin
>
>On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, John Todd wrote:
>
>>  >I would recommend then doing "grep fromstring
>>  >/usr/src/asterisk/apps/app_voicemail2.c" ....
>>  >
>>  >Martin
>>  >
>>  >On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Ben Bloomberg wrote:
>>  >
>>  >>  I'm having tons of trouble getting the fromstring to work in
>>  >>  voicemail.conf. I've tried both voicemail and voicemail2 but the emails
>>  >>  still seem to be coming from asterisk pbx. Has anyone had any luck with
>>  >  > this?
>>  [snip]
>>
>>  Martin -
>>     I examined the source, but I am still un-enlightened.  :-)   I
>>  cannot get fromstring or emailbody working reliably.  Even with the
>>  minimalist settings below, the header or body did not change (other
>>  than "serveremail" which seems to be set appropriately.)
>>  Interestingly and perhaps as an additional problem, the timezones
>>  also don't seem to work correctly in the voicemail message, either -
>>  the time in the email message is Eastern time (the TZ to which that
>>  server is set.)  My CVS is Asterisk CVS-10/13/03-18:38:10.
>>
>>     What I am doing incorrectly?
>>
>  > JT
>>
>  > [general]
>>  format=wav
>>  serveremail=voicemail at somedomain.com
>>  attach=yes
>>  fromstring=Foo
>>  emailbody=New vm now
>>
>>  [zonemessages]
>>  eastern=US/NewYork|'vm-received' Q 'digits/at' IMp
>>  central=US/Central|'vm-received' Q 'digits/at' IMp
>>  mountain=US/Mountain|'vm-received' Q 'digits/at' IMp
>>  pacific=US/Pacific|'vm-received' Q 'digits/at' IMp
>>
>>  [default]
>>  2413669780 => 9999,john todd,jtodd at loligo.com,,|tz=pacific
>>

>>  A message left in that mailbox results in:
>>
>>  >Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:53:49 -0400
>>  >From: Asterisk PBX <voicemail at somedomain.com>
>>  >To: john todd <jtodd at loligo.com>
>>  >Subject: [PBX]: New message 2 in mailbox 2413669780
>>  >
>>  >Dear john todd:
>>  >
>>  >	Just wanted to let you know you were just left a 0:01 long
>>  >message (number 2)
>>  >in mailbox 2413669780 from 2155821314, on Monday, October 13, 2003
>>  >at 06:53:49 PM so you might
>>  >want to check it when you get a chance.  Thanks!
>>  >
>>  >				--Asterisk
>>  >

OK, I found the problem - a bad filename problem causing old configs
to be used.  The fromstring and emailbody are working as expected now.

However, the timezone is still not straight in the message body.
${VM_DATE} doesn't seem to use the timezone matching routines defined
by the user's tz= setting.

Also, there seems to be a character limit for the length of
"emailbody=" that is a bit short - I get the last part of my messages
chopped off at a predictable point (seems to be around the 500th
character of the emailbody= line that it gets snipped.)

JT