[Asterisk-Users] No sound with SIP Phones on the Internet

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Oct 13 10:45:11 MST 2003

Chris Hariga wrote:

> This is bull... I can't believe that...
Read more on NAT and Voip here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-NAT+and+VOIP

It's not simple. The server must be reached in order to allow registration for
clients. A server inside a NAT can't be reached unless you use port forwarding.
A client inside can reach a server outside and there are ways to keep a connection
open in the NAT. Asterisk does not support this very well.

The other side of the coin is the contstruction of SIP and SDP. That's a long
story, but it ends in something like:
Asterisk help clients on the inside of a NAT with NAT=yes in SIP.CONF, but
can't work the other way as of today.

 > Must be a solution...
Do some research, add som code and we will all be happy!
IPv6 is a solution, if NAT is avoided.

/O