[Asterisk-Users] New Processor support..

WipeOut wipe_out at lycos.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 06:23:41 MST 2003

Michael Bielicki wrote:

>depends how large. If you are playing with the idea of setting up something
>like vonage but in a not so bandwidth loaded country you will need the
>horsepower for codec stuff.
>
>On Monday 13 October 2003 7:11 am, Chris Albertson wrote:
>

>>Do you r really need more CPU power for Asterisk?  I'd think in a
>>larger system you'd go with multiple servers this would allow for
>>redundancy
>>
>>--- WipeOut <wipe_out at lycos.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>Hey..
>>>
>>>Has anyone played around with Asterisk on the Itanium2, Opteron or
>>>Athlon64??
>>>
>>>Can Asterisk (or Linux for that matter) actually make good use of a
>>>64bit system??
>>>
>>>Later..

After reading a little more into it it looks like the answer to
horsepower is a SMP Xeon or Athlon right now while the world slowly
shifts to 64bit apps.. I guess the shift will come when M$ get up to speed..

If you really want 64bit hardware then it appears that the Opteron is
preferred over the Itanium2 becasue the Opteron will suposedly run 16bit
and 32bit apps with no problems seeing as AMD simply extented the x86
architecture from 32bit to 64bit where Intel tried to redesign the whole
thing when they created the Itanium (Itanic as i have seen it referred
to) which didn't work so well so now they have fixed some of the
shortfalls in the Itaniun2..

That was my take on the articles I have read anyway..

Later..