[Asterisk-Users] don't use Pingtel -was Is this Hardaware Enough for Asterisk ?

Andy Hester cgadmin at conserogroup.com
Sun Oct 12 16:43:19 MST 2003

  -----Original Message-----
  From: asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Tarun Banka
  Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 4:17 AM
  To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
  Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Is this Hardaware Enough for Asterisk ?

  Hello,

  We are planning to buy following Hardware for Asterisk TestBed. Please let
me know if this seems fine to you.

  1. IP Phones ( 5 in number) CISCO 7940/7960, SNOM 200, Pingtel xpressa
  2. Wildcard T100P interface card, that will connect Asterisk server to
    Our Nortel Switch SL-100

  3. Wildcard TDM400P that gives us 4FXS ports for 4 Analog Phones
  4. Server 1.8GHz or more P 4 1GB RAM
  5. T1 Cable.

  Please let me know if I am missing anything.

  Best regards,
  Tarun

  Tarun,

      Do NOT buy Pingtel phones for use with Asterisk.  I am pulling my
installation this week, and another guy I know has had to roll back his
large install as well.  These phones worked well with Asterisk in a test
environment but later manifested many erratic problems upon use in
production (mainly phone lock ups).  I have recieved no help from Pingtel to
resolve the issues other than to suggest that the problems are with * and
suggest purchasing their proprietary soft switch and a seperate gateway.
These phones have some cool features but do not expect them to stand behind
them unless there have been major changes.  You have been warned.

  Sincerely,

  Andy