[Asterisk-Users] Feedback request: AGI GET DATA change - termination digits

Paul Crick web-asterisk-users at ivrl.com
Sun Oct 12 14:16:54 MST 2003

I'd like some feedback on potentially submitting a request (and probably a
patch too) to change the way the AGI command GET DATA works.

Right now, # terminates the entry, which is then returned with the #
stripped off the end. What I'd like is to allow user configurable
termination digits, which are not stripped off the end.

Reasoning: Some entries you'd like to terminate with #. Right now it's fine,
you can tell if # was pressed or not by looking for the lack of a (timeout)
entry in the returned result. You may want to allow * to cancel an entry.
This is not possible right now. Systems I've coded previously allow # to
terminate and complete a digit entry, * to correct an incorrect entry
(playing the prompt again and restarting digit collection). Pressing  * with
no prior digit entry cancels the step and returns to the previous menu.

I guess there's a compatibility issue with stuff that's out there already
but if it was an optional 4th parameter this would be backwards compatible.

Proposed new syntax:

If terminator is specified (and it may be multicharacter, like "*#" to give
me the functionality above), return the digit string collected so far,
including the terminating digit. The calling app can strip the trailing
character if needed.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Paul