[Asterisk-Users] SIP / IAX over satellite

andrewg at felinemenace.org andrewg at felinemenace.org
Sat Oct 11 16:28:57 MST 2003

I was looking into using satelitte for a backup internet connection at one
stage, iirc, its:

- 500ms transmit/recieve latency
- if yours sat connection terminates in the us, you should be able to reach
  most place in <30ms
- if you're going to europe (from the termination of the sats in the .us), it
  will most likely be <80ms.

Those figures I got from about 2 different sales people. But this is from
memory.

(That said, in all cases it was better than a "landline" internet connection,
due to the country and surrounding countries.)

Thanks,
Andrew Griffiths