Proper usage of user's and peer's (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] IAX2 Trunking confirmation?)

Thorsten Lockert tholo at sigmasoft.com
Fri Oct 10 06:57:44 MST 2003

> No, you actually don't need to use a context in the peer. Asterisk will
? leave it up to the far end to decide what context to use.
> We use it to avoid any possibility of confusion in the process, but it
> is not necessary.
>
> In fact, I just verified this with the master himself and we will no
> longer tell our customers to use a context in their peer.

And, given that a context= entry is not used for a "peer", only for a
"user",
it also goes to say that if you use a "friend", context is still only used
for the *inbound* portion of it.  So I just don't really see why you so
strongly recommend against "friend" entries as opposed to having both a
"user" and a "peer" entry that are otherwise the same...

Thorsten