[Asterisk-Users] RE: Proper usage of user's and peer's (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] IAX2 Trunking confirmation?)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Oct 9 13:27:29 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 15:20, Thorsten Lockert wrote:
> > and the peer simply has the required information:
> >
> > [NuFone]
> > type=peer
> > secret=his_secret
> > context=NANPA
> > host=switch-1.nufone.net
>
> Uh.  Why would you want to specify a context for a peer at all...?  Aren't
> those used
> only for inbound anyhow?

What if you wanted that specific user to drop into a specific context so
you could tailor what was accessable for that user.

Simple idea would be like a account I had opened up on my system for a
potential overseas employee. This person had no need to be able to make
calls to anywhere our switch allowed. I dropped the user into a specific
context that only allowed dialing of a few specific phone numbers.

This is different than say anyone else in our organization who have full
run of the switch.